Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Whew!

So I spent a very boring and frustrating day in the jury pool yesterday. I was called for a panel just before lunch but put back into the pool because the case settled. There were about 4 or 5 cases that settled after jurors were selected for the panels. My best friend is a lawyer who represents the insurance companies in personal injury cases - I bet most of the cases that settle at the 11th hour are PI cases. The plaintiffs hold out until the very last moment in hopes of being offered more money. I guess that either the defense offers a bit more money or the plaintiffs take the money on the table and run.

At around 3:00 I was selected for another panel. I immediately had a bad feeling that we were dealing with a criminal case because 50 jurors were selected for the panel. I was right - murder in the 1st degree! The defendant was charged with murdering a woman during a robbery. People close to me know that I am very opinionated about murder and the death penalty, with good reason. You see, in 1989 a very close family member was murdered during a robbery. This is a happy blog so I won't go into it any more than that - I'll just say that not a day goes by that I don't think about her and how much I miss her. Naturally, I was dismissed two hours later. I was very relieved as I think it would have been too much for me to handle emotionally. Today I am back to thinking happy thoughts! :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Gorgeous Things said...

Gigi, congratulations for fulfilling your civic duty. I am so sorry, though, for your loss and for the troubling memories that your jury duty brought up. But as you say, it's back to happy thoughts now. Hugs!

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigi, just sharing my recent jury duty experience. The pool was 600 strong and 350 were chosen for the trial! It was a trial involving police and drugs and expected to for 5 months.

I, like most people, had a reson to be excused but they must have got the required 15 (12 plus spares) as the trial is now running.

Anyway I felt good about being part of the wider society and being ready to do my bit - I hope you felt that too.

Jeanette
Melbourne, Australia

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home