Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Where the action is

Some of you have never seen my sewing room and here it is. I know I'm not the only sewer who enjoys looking at everyone's sewing spaces - or am I? The bones of this room have been about the same for ten years but it received a facelift last year in the way of new paint, new hardware, a new floor and wonderful water hyacinth baskets for organizing. It's so nice not to lose pins in carpeting!

Here's the view from the door. That wonderful little Bernette 334DS serger you see in the foreground has been sold since I took these pictures. I was feeling guilty that such a great machine had been sitting idle since the day I bought my industrial serger. I firmly believe that machines need to be used and loved.



The shelves above the industrial serger didn't always hang so high. I moved them up in order to fit my industrial embroidery machine underneath back in 1999. That machine is now housed in my converted garage with my 6-head and the rest of my industrials. Just a quick walk to the other side of the house. I never bothered to lower the shelves back down. It doesn't bother me and gives me more room for my thread racks.

Here's the view to the right - pressing surface, small cutting area (which is usually just piled with fabric) and my Horn thread cabinet. I sure wish the thread cabinet had only deep drawers so that I could fit all of my serger thread in it. I have way too much regular sewing thread to fit so those shallow drawers on top are kind of useless. They hold tools and my knitting needles (I've been learning to knit for several years but haven't progressed past garter stitch).



Here's a little peek into my shop. The 6-head embroidery machine takes center stage, of course. She's about 13 feet long. We actually built the room around her. We layed the carpet, painted, had air conditioning installed and then brought the machine in with a forklift (well, WE didn't, the rigging company did it) and had the fourth wall put up. I usually stay out of here on the weekends - I have to go "home" sometime - but I am swamped with work so the machines are running as I sit here and type.



Okay, I've shown you mine - now show me yours!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Gigi, for the tour. It's always fun to visit other sewing rooms, especially when they are so neat. You have inspired me to go clean mine.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Oh, Marilyn! Trust me when I tell you it was only neat for the photos. It's as messy day to day as every other sewing room in the world. ;-)

11:47 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

Mine is a disaster, as well as in the basement so I get concrete walls. I do have light though in the form of deep south facing windows. the first 6 photos in are my sewing room. I am working on cleaning it up.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

;), I recognize that Sussman iron. Did I mention how jealous I am that you have a real room?

8:15 AM  
Blogger touran said...

All I can say is "Wow". I had no idea the thing resembled a hydra. I thought 'heads' were where the needle sat. Thanks for the pictures.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Summerset said...

Fantastic! You're so well organized. I love the whole thing.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Lisa Laree said...

How long does it take to thread the six head? I shudder to think of it...I plan my sewing projects around what color of thread is in the serger, because I don't like threading four puny little threads...

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sewing space. Marji's is pretty cool too. I have all my cone thread on CD shelves from IKEA. They fit into all those useless spots like corners right next to doors and window. If I had any idea how to use a Digital Camera, I would show you mine. But,other than the CD shelves, there are no new ideas. And when my daughter is home from college, my sewing room disappears and becomes here bedroom, so I can't get her to photograph it for me.

3:06 PM  
Blogger mamafitz said...

i so love your room (you're moving pictures over from tripod, aren't you?). it's just beautiful. i hope to revamp my room soon. you can see some of it here: http://mamafitzz.tripod.com/fabricstorage.html

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home