Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Monday, September 18, 2006

Almost finished!

First, I want to thank all of you for your wonderful, generous comments! I'll admit I was feeling a bit down but who could possibly feel bad with so many encouraging visitors? Certainly not me. Thank you all!

So, what am I almost finished with? Well, I'm very nearly caught up with my work. I have been literally working day and night! I'm still working right now, trying to get a few last minute things finished as I've been called for jury duty tomorrow. Hopefully, I won't be needed. I served on a jury for an entire week a few years ago. While interesting, it was a personal nightmare because I can't sit still that long. I have two speeds: high and off. So, we'll see. I just always wonder what's going on with jury selection - I don't know one other person who has ever served on a jury besides me.

Provided they don't chain me to a seat in the jury box, I will be sewing on Wednesday, Thursday AND Friday - yippee! I am doing the happy-happy joy-joy dance right now! I'll finish up my Sunshine Top and probably cut out another one. I'm headed to the beach on Sunday for four days. The hand-beading I have planned for the next Sunshine Top will be a good take-along project. I'm also going to try to get something cut out that doesn't need a serger and take that along as well. My DH will likely be running back and forth to the restaurant so my Bernina will be my surrogate companion for some of the time. ;-) I no longer have a portable serger and don't feel like taking *that* much stuff with me anyway. Maybe I'll fit and cut out a shirt before I go and plan on making flat-felled seams. I know it sounds weird that I'm taking sewing to the beach with me but I'm not much of a sun-lover so my big Panama hat and I won't be spending more than an hour or two on the sand with a good book. I'll be the pasty one slathering 40 SPF all over herself - under an umbrella. ;-)

11 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Laree said...

I got selected to sit on a jury about 5 years ago...it was a domestic violence case and I wanted to convict the whole lot of them for stupidity unbecoming an adult human being...but we weren't given that option. I felt really sorry for the kids who were being raised by these selfish, irresponsible people. I hope you don't get chained to the jury chair! :)

8:25 AM  
Blogger Linda T said...

Juries--I was selected for a civil case a number of years ago and the case last 8 yes EIGHT weeks. Us jurors became quite good friends and exchanged Christmas cards for a number of years following. Good luck!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

Yeah! Glad you're getting time to go away for a few days and DH will partially come with you. I do hope you'll not be beading your newest top whilst sitting in a court room. If the wrost happens and you do have a week of jury selection to sit through many will no doubt have the impulse to "embellish" (the truth?) along with you ;)

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DH and I have been selected for jury duty so many times! And, we've each been picked to be on several juries.....DH has been foreman on 2 murder trials and 1 rape. That bothered him for a long time afterwards.

Here's hoping you truly enjoy your "time off" at the beach. I'm longing to get away for a spell, too, but sadly no beaches around HERE! Have fun!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Summerset said...

I've done jury duty, too. Thankfully it was only a day and it was back to the regular scheduled programming. I hope you get that time at the beach after the week you've had!

11:12 AM  
Blogger patsijean said...

I had jury duty several years ago. A young drug runner was on trial. Hard to get the guys further up the food chain because they don't touch the money or the drugs and never deal with the customer. Oh, well.

I am going to try to make an evening purse today. Already partly cut out and several pieces interfaced. We'll see.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gigi, just wanted to add how grateful I've been for the techniques I've learnt from you. I hope you get to go to the beach, but if you do get selected for jury duty, I know you'll do a good, thoughtful, fair job.

I've been so impressed with your generosity in sharing. Happy sewing!

Tessa

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: jury duty.....When you are interviewed, make it a point to indicate that you believe in the death penalty for jaywalking, petty theft, and anything involving 5mph over the speed limit. Make references to your participation in the Firing Squad Re-enactment Group (the one that meets on Sunday, after church). You'll get the rest of the week off....

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sat on a jury the week after I had a D&C and miscarriage. I could have gotten a doctor's note to get me off of it but I knew that I'd rather be on a jury than face my co-workers back at the office (and face my work and thoughts of my loss...). It was actually helpful to focus on someone else's problems and I also learned a bit about the judicial system. I ended up being the jury foreman (foreperson? forewoman?). After the trial one of the defense attorneys told me they always take bets on who they think will be the foreman and he picked my right away. I guess I must have been a very attentive note take during the trial.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Gorgeous Things said...

I hope you get a bye on the jury and get to just head straight to the beach. Have a lovely time. I completely hear what you are saying. I call myself "Mary Melanoma" and threaten to develop an SPF 8000 product that will let me walk through a nuclear reactor unscathed!

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigi, glad you're feeling a bit better! I had to sit on a jury panel when I was 18. It took all week, (an injured person vs. insurance) and after we came back from lunch on Friday, they had settled. What a waste of time! The judge was nice and did let us in to see his chambers.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home