Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Yes, still......

I'm still swamped with work but am trying to post *something* every few days so that you don't forget about me. :-)

Awhile ago, my friend Emma asked if I'd monogram 65 napkins for a friend's dinner party. The easiest way to crank out such a large quantity was to put four napkins in a hoop as shown below. I used a 12x12" but this would work equally well with smaller hoops. We hooped tearaway, drew a couple of lines down the center in each direction and stuck the napkins on with KK3000. I always use KK3000 with my either cutaway or tearaway as I absolutely detest sticky paper. Not only is it expensive, it doesn't provide enough stability on it's own. If you have to add a sheet of tearaway, what is the point?

If you look very, very closely, you can see a tiny placement dot on each napkin. We made a little corner template from paper to make marking a breeze. After sewing the first initial, I simply used my machine's rotate feature to sew the rest. With this method, we were able to embroider 24 napkins with each hooping (my machine has 6 heads). This went very quickly - we started around 10:00 a.m. and were having lunch out a couple of hours later.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a good friend! 65 embroidered napkins in a few hours! I'm so impressed.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

Ohhhh, so brilliant! Wish I had known how to do this a few years ago when I had 89 hankerchiefs to monogram. It took 3 days, but I have only one head and had to make the hankerchiefs first. I'm going to "remember" this one, Gigi!!!

6:32 PM  
Blogger TLo said...

Hi Gigi,

We were actually talking about you (and about other readers/commentors we like) last night. We had some friends over to watch the PR episode, and we were telling them to check out your site and take a look at all the beautiful things you make. Those napkins are gorgeous. WOW, we're so impressed.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home