Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Hot Patterns Sunshine Tops - Part 2

I had all but forgotten about these really cute heat transfers I purchased a few months ago from Shop Onion. This silver Blomster print is perfect for adding a little embellishment to the neckband of my Sunshine Top.



I decided to use a partial motif on the side of the band. I placed a Teflon sheet underneath so that the excess wouldn't fuse to my press' silicone pad. If you don't have a Teflon sheet you can put a piece of scrap paper or fabric underneath so that the transfer won't stick to your pressing surface.



Applying the motif is easy! Just fuse at 300F for 10-12 seconds. I'm using a commercial heat press but it's just as easy to apply these transfers with a dry iron set just above wool.



I'm very happy with the placement of this little detail. This pattern is great! It's such a pretty top. I thought I could get away without a full bust adjustment because of all the gathers but I was W R O N G. In fact, if you are full-busted I would recommend starting the gathers further up the neckband to fill in the hollow above the bust a little. I am going to make my FBA and then transfer the dart to that area. Oh well, that's why it's necessary to make a test garment in knit. My final version will be in a rayon/lycra knit. I think I'll cut out and fuse the neck band now and get started on my beading. Woohoo!

4 Comments:

Blogger A-List said...

WOW how hot is that! The shirt looks so amazing now with the heat transfer lol...great blog :)

5:04 PM  
Blogger angie.a said...

Now I have to have both the tee pattern & the transfer, LOL :D Cute, cute top!

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so creative! What a great way to use the prints - I had never thought of that, but will be copying shamelessly :-)

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigi, I am dying. This is so cute. I think I have to order this HP. What makes your top look so darned professionally finished? I mean, of course, besides the fact that you are a very talented professional. Is it a coverstitch machine or just a serger?

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home