Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Monday, August 28, 2006

My fabric stash!

I recently took down my www.gigisews.com website - I just have too much going on and hadn't been maintaining it anway so..... However, several people have asked about the picture of my fabric closet so I thought I'd put one up today.

A couple of years ago, Leslie in Austin mentioned that she had rolled all of the fabric in her stash. I thought this was such a great idea that I spent an entire weekend reorganizing and rolling all of my fabric. Rolling makes it easy to see every piece of fabric and to remove a piece without causing an avalanche. Because you can stack the rolls higher than flatfolds, I was able to fit all of the extra fabric from the linen closet into my sewing room closet as well.

As you can see, I try to keep my fabric separated by color. This makes it much easier to find what I'm looking for.



The wire baskets in the center hold linings, ribbings, lingerie fabrics and stretch linings. Like any good sewer, I have a few fabrics still in bags on the floor. :-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Debbie Cook said...

Thanks Gigi! I was one who was looking for this pic. I'll miss your website though, and all those pics of your completed garments. :(

I'll probably have to do the rolling thing soon as I just barely managed to squeeze my current fabrics into what was a completely empty closet yesterday. And I have a few stragglers which don't quite fit. I have a LOT of sewing to do to sew down this mountain.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea! I've got so much to get organized after moving.

Ressy

9:04 AM  
Blogger Summerset said...

Hmmm . . . I store stuff in plastic bins, but I could roll them and put them in on end. Thanks for the idea!

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it's great to see your stash after the kind advice you gave me about rolling fabric. I'm still trying to get mine off the (shudder) cardboard bolts and rolled properly.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How organized your stash is! Do you roll linen, silk and wool too? BTW, glad to find your blog and beautiful projects here!

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home