Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Pretty Blouses and Beautiful Fabric

Last week I ordered some beautiful white and ivory Sea Island cottons from Michael's Fabrics. The samples he sent me were so silky, so heavenly, that I could not resist. I figured I'd make myself some nice basic shirts. Until I saw this beautiful blouse at Basset Mode. Isn't it gorgeous? It's fresh and feminine and would pair equally well with a skirt or jeans. Then, I remembered my small stash of French laces and Swiss embroideries and knew that I could use them to make something similar. The sheer stripes will be replaced by laces and I will embellish the plain fabric with embroidery, pintucking and perhaps some puffing. Yet, because of the sophisticated chevron design I will not end up looking like a cupcake.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous inspiration! I'll be looking forward to your interpretation. I made a Burda dress recently with a different kind of chevron striping and I really like the effect.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Linda L said...

I think this blouse is lovely. I have never heard of this site and glad you posted link to it. They have some gorgeous clothes and very inspiration. Can't wait to see your blouse.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Lisa Laree said...

ooooo, pretty!
Can't wait to see your version!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

I love it! Are you going to do this on the bias? You don't need to actually. When it comes to choosing insertions less is definitely more, so even just 2 different laces would be fine. Puffing will look great also. Silk organza makes a nice insertion as well, and it looks wodnerful paired with machine embroidery.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I knew you guys would like this blouse! It's great, isn't it? Phyllis, I was going to use all straight-grain pieces and just cut the pattern on the bias. I love the idea of using silk organza. I just happen to have some somewhere.... I also have some English netting that would be really cool with some embroidery on it. As soon as I finish up my UFOs......

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the blouse . Will you make up the fabric in the stripes and then place the pattern on the bias to cut it out? What will the back be like ?

1:46 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Yes, that's exactly how I intend to do it. I haven't decided what to do with the back yet. Ideally, I'd like to piece the back as well, adding a centerback seam so that I can have a chevron design. However, that all depends on how far I get with the laces I have on hand. Don't worry, I will not leave the back plain! :-)

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home