Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Friday, June 02, 2006

Another New Dress - Part 2

As you can see, work on the dress hasn't come very far. I've had a busy work week with very little time to sew. I didn't make much progress on Memorial Day either! However, I am determined to finish it up this weekend as I'm feeling guilty about the many UFOs in my sewing room. Yet, I just keep starting new projects because that's more fun than trying to remember where I was on a project I stopped 6 months ago, sigh. Must. Get. Organized!

Anyway, I wanted to take advantage of the coordinating fabrics I chose for the project. Yet, I didn't want to give the dress too much of a bohemian look with lots of pattern blocking. Instead of using the contrast for the midriff inset I decided to use 1/8" uncorded piping in the seam instead. I think it's a very nice, subtle detail, don't you? I'm still on the fence about the hem bands. I have cut them out of the main fabric with the intention of simply piping the seam but now I'm wondering if I should use the contrast fabric instead? Decisions, decisions. I might have to try both before I make a commitment.



In this second photo you can just barely see the buttonloops I added at the center front. I have some lovely vintage pearl buttons that will be added shortly.

4 Comments:

Blogger jemgirlca said...

I really like those 2 fabrics together. The piping and button loops are nice details. I think the contrast fabric might look good on the bottom to balance the top pieces, but I'm sure whatever you decide will look fantastic as usual!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 thoughts--"less is more" and "repetition"

The piping on the midriff bands is a nice touch, and subtle (less is more). Repeating the same treatment on the sleeve and hem bands would unify the "theme" of your dress.

Love the black and white!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Gigi, I vote for trying both - there's nothing like a mock-up of different treatments to really see the benefits/deficits of each clearly. And if one doesn’t hit you immediately, then sleep on it - things look so different the next day.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Linda L said...

Another great looking dress in progress. I have to admit I have gotten hooked on this dress since reading A Dress A Day and seeing hers and yours made up. I bought it today at 1/2 price, I just couldn't wait another week for it to be $1.99. Now to decide what fabric to try.

I really like your current fabric choices.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home