Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Another New Dress - Final

I had the house to myself today so I was finally able to finish up this dress! First, here is a close-up of the button and loop detail I added at the center front. The buttons are vintage mother-of-pearl. I think they are going to want to face whichever direction suits them so I'll just have to deal with that. I originally wanted to use covered buttons (covered in the main fabric) but I couldn't find any small enough.



I decided to extend the front band around to the back on this version since I was using contrasting fabrics. I think it was worth the extra effort.



As you can see, I decided to use the main fabric for the hem band and use more uncorded piping to accent the seam. The more I thought about it, the more I thought I didn't need that horizontal cut at the hemline. I'm short enough as it is. :-)



Here's a closeup of the bodice. I'm a little annoyed with myself. I ended up having to let out the bodice 3/8" for extra length over the bust (different fabric, different fit) and didn't think about the fact that I'd need to add an extra button and loop. By the time I noticed my mistake it would have required many hours of reverse sewing to correct so I decided to leave it as it is. Hopefully, no one will notice.

10 Comments:

Blogger jemgirlca said...

Gigi, it turned out really pretty and looks alot different than the other one! I love your two fabrics together! Now, what are you making next... ;-)

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigi that dress is absolutly beautiful. It would be really simple if you just unpicked a couple of stitches where your button and loop are missing,tuck your loop in and stitch it back up by hand, and of course reinforcing at the beginning and end so that the machine stitching still stays tight. I love your Doncaster fabric. I sew for a woman who used to sell Doncaster clothing from her home (trunk shows) and I always altered anything her clients bought. The fabric was always superb. I'll bet this dress is gorgeous on you.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I am thinking about that - it's bugging me. :-) Maybe I'll just sew the button on and see if that satisfies me. It probably won't. ;-)

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another pretty dress Gigi! I'm glad you started this blog cuz I've been missing your reviews (inspiration!) on PR.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Janina the Mom Beast said...

Beautiful job, Gigi. Between you and Ms Dressaday, I was convinced I had to get this pattern. I would not have given it a second glance based on the drawings and the photo in the McCall's book.
Now to go raise that perilously low neckline!

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigi, lovely dress! The piping gives it a couture look. I bet it's really comfortable in the heat and humidity of South Florida.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Linda L said...

This looks great. After seeing this on Erin's blog and yours, I, of course, had to go buy the pattern. I am bound and determine to use something from my fabric stash. It is interesting how many ways this dress can be made up.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the dress -- bought the pattern over the weekend and am thinking about fabrics. I like how you simplified the bohemian look -- makes it much classier. Show us a picture of it on you!

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your dress. It looks very sophisticated and elegant. You are quite the designer!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

The neckline is just great Gigi - anbd I agree that keeping the contrast fabric at the neckline was the way to go.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home