Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Block fusing

I have been block fusing my interfacing for years - ever since I bought my first press about ten years ago. Six years ago, I purchased an industrial heat press for my business and became spoiled by it's large 16x20 fusing area. You certainly don't need a press for fusing but it does make the job easier and faster.

Why block fuse? I think it's easier, faster and more accurate. No more fiddling with wiggly facing pieces and comparing them to the pattern to make sure they haven't been stretched or distorted. I also always hate cutting out the interfacing pieces, blech. Additionally, you don't have to worry about whether the interfacing shrunk during the fusing process.

To begin, I lay a Teflon sheet over my pressing surface. If my interfacing is a little larger than my fabric I don't have to worry about getting the glue on my silicone pad.



Next, I lay the fabric face down on the Teflon sheet making sure the fabric is on grain. The rectangular surface helps me line everything up. I then lay the interfacing glue side down onto the fabric and mist the interfacing lightly with water.



Lastly, I cover the interfacing with another Teflon sheet and close the press for 10 seconds. Once the fabric has cooled, I turn the fabric over and repeat this process.




Then, I am ready to cut!

3 Comments:

Blogger Phyllis said...

Gigi I'm so glad you posted this, the fuse-one-piece-at-a-time is, as you point out, is such fallacy in industrial production. Home sewers need to be enlightened to this! I’ve found, in the absence of your way cool industrial tools, that going to a lighter weight interfacing, and just using an iron, will replicate the same results pretty well.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this method. I sew intermittently, but when I do, I don't like lining up the pieces of interfacing with the fabric. I'll try this technique the next time I make a garment. I even have the teflon sheets from my baking collection! (I'll wash everything throughly before and after) :)

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the technique. In the past, I have dreaded interfacing pattern pieces .. now I think it will be no problem for me. Appreciate the help.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home