Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Monday, May 15, 2006

Dresses!

Aside from Simplicity/New Look, I rarely look at The Big-4 (or Big-2, whatever you prefer) patterns anymore. However, when Erin over at Dress A Day posted this pattern last week I couldn't resist buying it.



It's eerily similar to a vintage Vogue Nina Ricci pattern I bought last week. Which, BTW, I see Erin bought as well! A pretty dress is a pretty dress.



My one concern is that the gathering below the midriff band will be too much for me. I'm not small-waisted so I may have to reduce the fullness a bit. I have quite a few nice rayons and silks in my stash so I'm thinking of making the McCall's (the Vogue pattern hasn't arrived yet) dress to wear to a brunch on Sunday. I think the secret to this style is using very drapey and light-weight fabric. I like the tie because it will make the dress somewhat adjustable through my weight-loss journey.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This kimono dress style is quite the rage, an elegant follow up to the boho skirt that I dare not wear in fear of being mistaken for a hippy. I heart punk rock. The new issue of Lucky magazine features a slew of these dresses paired with chunky monkey heels. I like that the 70's motif is carrying on. Probably because my genneration (b. 1975) is coming into our own and reminiscing the way we first remember our mothers dressing. Also Anthropologie has had a few of these online, and now they are in the sale section. I am going out to find the McCalls right away. Another pattern drafting project off the list. Thanks gigi.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought this pattern a few months ago, and i was quiet saddened not to look like the drawings :(

i did move the gatherings to the hips and back, because at size 16 i didn't want to look like i was expecting. but it did give me a great idea for a maternity dress when i will be :)

i must say aside from that i was not happy about the pattern, the midriff band is in a bad position, much higher then the drawing, it would look nicer if the band was actually where it is in the drawing, closer to the waistline, not right under the bra line.

i used lightweight cotton, next time i will use a more drapie fabric.

my pic http://i11.tinypic.com/4km1nhs.jpg

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home