Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Friday, October 27, 2006

Aren't you glad you sew? Blumarine

I absolutely love snoop shopping so I thought it might be fun to start a weekly feature showcasing an expensive designer garment that would be easy for us to duplicate (oops, is that a run-on sentence?). Sound like fun?

Today's garment is a rayon/lycra knit from Blumarine with a retail price of $1,070 (all photos are from eluxury.com). While I would never spend that much on a tee (let's face it, that's what it is), it's important to note the little details that make it special. Details which you and I can easily duplicate in our own sewing rooms for a small fraction of the retail price (so that we can spend the $1000 or so we save on more fabric).



Granted, it would be impossible to find the same print but easy enough to find something that would give the same luxurious feel. The neckline of this top is trimmed in leather - how impractical is that? Since the binding is so narrow, it would be easy to get the same look with a faux leather. I, personally, would choose Ultraleather because it has good stretch across the grain making it perfect for this application. Believe me, no one will know it isn't the real thing. Additionally, since I cannot get away without a bra, I'd narrow the neckline just a bit to hide my straps.



The neckline is trimmed with two large and eight small crystals at the center front. Yay! An excuse to buy sparkly things!



The sleeve opening is also trimmed out in leather and features button-and-loop closures trimmed with crystals. I have a nice little stash of expensive crystal buttons purchased during my employment at Maggi's For Fine Fabrics in Boca Raton (known as THE place to buy buttons in the tri-county area). Maggi's may have closed but I have a good portion of the inventory right here! If they are washable, this might be a good project to use them on since my formalwear days are practically non-existent.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea Gigi! I love inspiration.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

I love the idea of a weekly deconstrution of designer stuff! Thanks for this first installment.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Lisa Laree said...

Wow! That's some t-shirt...
Thanks for all the details! It would be fun to knock off...can't wait to see your future inspirational installments!

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think Blumarine is in cahoots with the dry cleaning industry? Why else would you trim a t-shirt with leather?

I like the knock-off inspiration idea. Looking forward to more!

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great weekly feature idea - thank you - I will definitely enjoy it every week!

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, Gigi, I actually almost bought that fabric tuesday - from the vendor who is importing these designer fabrics to Denmark.. It was about 25$ a meter - I was in doubt because of the colors, but now I see I should have bought the roll... Have to call her tomorrow and see if there is more left, because now I want a tee from it!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Gigi - What a great idea, I look forward to all the inspiration. You are such a great enabler. I know that you will have a knock off of this in no time. I also have no doubt that it will better than the orginal.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Linda L said...

I think you will make up a great knock off of this. I am always amazed at the fashion ideas you find. Thanks for sharing.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Gorgeous Things said...

Gigi, this is a wonderful idea! And I just love that fabric. I wonder if I could find it in New York? If not, I'll have to email Maria to see if she can get it for me!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

L-O-V-E the crystal trim on the sleeves and neckline Gigi! Go for it.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Sharon Sews said...

Love the tee and the inspiration. Great idea for a weekly feature - thanks so much for sharing. I look forward to future installments!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigi, this is a *WONDERFUL* idea. A sew-along would be cool too for this.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Lucelu said...

Omg, you have just hit on my very very favorite thing. Not the tshirt but the concept. Can't wait to see this and learn. And what is the deelio with necklines that show off my bra straps? Don't designers know that customers have breasts?

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great inspiration top! I love the details, this is going to be a fun want to knock off!

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you have got us inspired. Beautiful T!

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, does anyone know an online source for a similar type fabric? Love it!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Abi said...

Great tee top.Snoop shopping rules.Would be great to drop by regularly to be inspired.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Georgene said...

I trimmed a washable jacket in leather piping, with leather buttonholes...I wash it with no problem - red leather on orange MM fleece. Just incase some one wants to go for real leather....dont let that stop you.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE that top!! Thanks for posting.

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. Love this tee, especially the use of two similar but different scale prints to give breadth to the shoulder line (along with the wide neckline, of course). Thanks for the tips about Ultraleather. I didn't realize it was so stretchy on the cross-grain. I think a thousand dollars was spent on thinking through the design so that we could benefit from Gigi's deconstruction ;-) Sue

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home