Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A A A D D

Well, finally, there's a name for my affliction: Age Activated Attention
Deficit Disorder. Yes, I have it. Last week, I had lunch with my friend Vivian and was telling her that I have to write everything down and make lots of lists - otherwise, the day goes by without my accomplishing anything I'd set out to do. This morning she sent me an email explaining the proper name for my disease: AAADD.

The email came at just the right moment too. But first, a little background: I received a $100 gift card for Home Depot this week. I'm a chronic DIYer and spend an awful lot of time and money there. I've been wanting to upgrade my wonderful 14.4V Ryobi drill with their new 18V One+ drill. The 18V One+ battery fits a myriad of tools: circular saws, jig saws, routers, reciprocating saws and more. I've been lusting after it for about a month but figured I'd just put it on my Christmas list. Well, since I'm famous for losing/misplacing gift cards I figured I'd better rush right over to Home Depot this morning and spend that sucker!

I immediately went to the tool department and grabbed the drill/flashlight combo pack (which comes in a nifty suitcase) and, seeing the fabulous right-angle drill, grab that as well. Hey, I'm in a mood to splurge! I pick up a few other things on my list, wait in line, pay, get in my car and drive home. When I get home I realize that I failed to use my gift card. Then I received the email. Apparently, pinning notes to my shirt is the next step.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you're young yet. At pushing 60, I've considered stapling notes to my forehead. Where I worked, everyone was approximately the same age. We used to joke about growing old together, imagine a work world in which people couldn't walk across the floor without forgetting what they needed when they got there. And the bathroom breaks, etc. I used to joke about it. Now I are one! Kathy B.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world, traveler. I knew I was in trouble when I had to start clipping a clothespin to my purse handle to remind myself that my cell phone was plugged into the charger and wasn't in my purse. I have also learned that a grocery list is handy ONLY if you can find it when you arrive at the grocery store. Usually it's at home - next to the cell phone.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Gorgeous Things said...

I have another name for that syndrome: CRS. It stands for "Can't Remember Sh--"
:)
Ann

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe, you are lucky! I am 22 and already forgeting everything. I usually make lists, then make a master list to remind me of the other lists. No matter what, I either loose or forget to read the lists.

8:28 AM  
Blogger mamafitz said...

LOL!! i also call it CRS.

we have that ryobi 'suitcase', it's fantastic.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Lisette M said...

Thanks Gigi for a good laugh!! I have been trying to find a Starbucks gift card I have had since June...I used it once and haven't been able to locate it again.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha!

Myself, I juggle several legal pads. One for orders, one for to-do's, one for ideas... you get the point.

It worked well in the office all these years; but, they get misplaced in the shop and frequently can't go to the store w/ me.

I'm about to start pinning notes on myself, soon, too. I don't think it has anything to do with aging. There's only so much room in the noggin; and, the wisdom pushes out the small crap...

(Okay, so I'm placating myself :-) )

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine is the great $2 to $4 coupon in my purse for something expensive that I like, and I always forget they are there. Or the clerk at Walmart does not scan it.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Well they say "misery loves company". Glad to know I'm not alone. Thanks for the reminder about the home improvement gift certificate........I'd forgotten I had one.......can someone remind me where I put it?

11:03 AM  
Blogger patsijean said...

All of he above plus I even forget commission checks from the DesignzMall. I'm glad that I am not alone. It's a good thing that my super-smart professor husband seldom forgets.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

Hey, look on the bright side, you've still got a $100 gift certificate yet to use! DH keeps a small sprial notebook in his pocket to make lists...and everything works fine until I pull the spiral thingie out of the wash then, big, loud groans...

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigi, you just doubled your gift card. I have done that so many times... not on purpose, of course.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could return some of that stuff. Once the return is processed, repurchase the items with the gift card. That usually just means leaving the CS desk, going back to get more of the same and waiting in the check out line again.

Do not ask how it is that I thought of this. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with consumables like restaurant meals.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - I have done this too! I get so excited about what I am buying that I forget! LOL. I have gone back, returned it, and repurchased it with the card.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My midwife referred to it as "Mommynisia" after the birth of my son. He's now 5. I've lost all hope of a full recovery. I really think you push out half your brain with each child. Good thing I've stopped with one!

PS...If it's not too much trouble, return the items you purchased at HD then rebuy them with your giftcard. I DO IT ALL THE TIME!!!

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday,Gigi !!!

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home