Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Package from Kashi!

I love ordering fabric from Kashi at Metro Textiles in NYC! Where else can a Sewing Diva get top-quality fabric at discount prices *and* receive personalized service? Once Kashi knows what you like you can expect to receive calls to alert you to new inventory. Isn't that great? Here's what I received today:

Swiss-cheese eyelet in white - 6 yards: I will save this for next summer. It's destined to become a full-skirted wrap dress.



Brown eyelet - 3 yards (with 6 more coming!): I'm planning on making a skirt out of this. I envision something fitted through the hip and full at the hem. Although it is October, it's still pretty hot here so I'll be able to wear this for awhile. I'll make a dress out of the 6 yards I have coming from the 2nd shipment but probably not until next Spring.



Waves eyelet - 3 yards: This I bought sight unseen, Kashi made it sound so pretty. I'm going to make a shirt out of this - it's really even prettier than I thought it would be. A white eyelet shirt will go with so many things!



I was so excited to hear that Kashi had some good-quality cotton eyelets. I've been looking for them all summer! Except for the nice black piece I bought from him this past Spring, most of the other eyelets I've seen have been pretty awful - poly/cotton with horrible stingy embroidery. Oh, I did find a gorgeous broderie Anglaise for $200/yd but passed on it. Kashi's eyelets were $14/yd for the whites and $10/yd for the brown - such a deal! I know he is again out of the brown, but I believe he still has the whites. He also still has some of the beautiful brown velvet eyelet I bought a few weeks ago. Call him at (212)290-0418 8:00-6:00 Monday-Friday, Eastern time. Reasonable shipping rates too!

Yesterday afternoon a little bird flew into the French doors in my living room. It managed to bounce off the glass and grab onto one of my patio chairs. I was a little worried about it because it was obviously pretty stunned. Here in the photo you can see how it's little eyes are mere slits. It stayed like this, motionless, for several minutes before shaking it's little head and opening it's eyes all the way.

My four cats were quite entertained by the little bird. It was pretty funny to see them all lined up against the doors watching Kitty Television. I was so relieved that it was alright and able to fly away a few minutes later.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mary Beth said...

Ohhhhh, I love the "wave" fabric. Thanks for sharing all of them. Cute birdie, sorry kitties!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Erica Bunker said...

that fabric is so delish!

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I luv the chocolate. Good Buys.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Linda L said...

Lovely fabric. I have been tempted to contact Kashi but have held off. What a great photo of the bird. Glad he was able to fly away.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Gorgeous Things said...

Oh I hope he has some of the wave eyelet when I get there on Friday!

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. Great eyelets! When I see what you guys pick up from him, I always want to call. Then, I'm afraid my lack of fabric vocabulary will prohibit me from buying what I would like. Maybe I'll just have to go to NYC. ;)

7:39 AM  
Blogger Maja said...

Those fabrics are gorgeous! Glad the birdie got away :)

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bird does look dazed and confused. I'm impressed with your photography skills--or your camera, or both. :-)

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigi,
I just realized that you're no longer posting on PR. I don't know what happened since I don't generally read the message boards, but I'm dissapointed not to be able to read your reviews any more. Guess I'll just have to make my way here more often. Love the wave fabric also.
And finally to the point I was planning to make INITIALLY:
I had a bird fly into my dining room window one day (and for some reason I was sewing in there that day -- I think I needed the additional light) unfortunately it flew SO HARD into the window, that (s)he didn't make it. It bothered me for a few days afterward. Glad yours is okay.

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home