Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Mit Glitz

A few years ago, a friend of mine had a Swiss girlfriend who looooved sparkle - everything had to be mit Glitz! Last weekend I was whipping up some new casual tops (I just cleaned out my closet and am in need!) and came across two sparkley iron ons that I had purchased at Ben Raymond's a long time ago. Sometimes, I am inexplicably drawn to glittery things and so I bought these stars with no clue as to what I'd ever use them for.

No one could argue the fact that most knit tops don't have a very long lifespan. This is not investment dressing, to be sure. I decided to live a little and pulled out my favorite pattern (out-of-print Kwik-Sew 2643), two gorgeous rayon/lycra fabrics (the green from www.emmaonesock.com and the beige from www.casualelegancefabric.com ) and heat-sealed those stars on before I could change my mind. You know what? I like them! Sometimes it's fun to try something different.



21 Comments:

Blogger Erica Bunker said...

I love that... I may have to try that on a t-shirt or two.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Linda L said...

Great job with the star! Love the look of the tops.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Gorgeous Things said...

Oooooh, I'm going to NYC on Friday. I'll have to see if I can find any. What a great idea. And I just cleaned out my shirt drawer yesterday. Thanks for the inspiration!

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this! Is the sparkle flat, or is is bumpy?

7:45 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Thank you guys! Kelly, the transfers are tiny little faceted nailheads so there is a lot of texture.

8:42 AM  
Blogger mamafitz said...

fabulous! i love that pattern, too bad they discontinued it.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh very cute, Gigi! You might be starting a trend here with home sewers. :)

9:23 AM  
Blogger Alisa_Benay said...

These are so fun! Also, thanks for the fabric site links. I knew about EmmaOneSock, but not the other.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

"before you changed your mind", hehehehe. Love the green one with the sleeve placement.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Debbie Cook said...

Great tees. Love the green (my fav color) esp. with the sleeve glitz. An unexpected placement, very creative.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Wow Gigi these look great! I don't know which one I like best but I agree with Debbie, the sleeve placement is very creative. I would have never thought to do that but it works really well.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Oh I love the sleeve placement too! Very cute tops, Gigi.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Abi said...

Very clever embellishments

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are really neat. A lot of sparkly stuff that I see on shirts seems tacky IMHO, but I think that those are fun and cute - very cool! I may have to try that sometime.

Kris

11:22 AM  
Blogger jemgirlca said...

Very cute! I love both of those. Too bad that pattern is OOP.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

What fun! I like them both, though I'm dying over that lovely, lovely hunter green. You did a great job of putting each star just where it should be on each of the different shirts.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've played around with this a couple of times but only on very casual cotton tees to bum around in. I just never thought to try it on something I would wear to work! Fabulous tees....I love them both.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gigi - I really like that look, especially the sleeve placement. Looks fab. Love that t pattern too, maybe if we all whine enough KS will revive it?

5:50 PM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Very Studio 54...I love them both!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Maja said...

Those look great! I like glitz!

4:23 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Let's all hound Kwik-Sew to bring this pattern back! I'll post a photo of the envelope front. I'm sure you will all agree that it's just the BEST t-shirt pattern ever!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home