Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Monday, October 23, 2006

New shears!

I didn't really feel like sewing when I returned home yesterday afternoon. But, I did want to do something sewing-related so I made permanent patterns of a couple of my newer favorites. I have all of the usual pattern making tools: bunny punch, notcher, tracing wheel and screw punch. But, after struggling once again to cut out heavy poster board (I know, I've finally decided to break down and buy a large roll of oak tag) with my Fiskars I decided it was time for some serious shears.

So, I headed off to the store this afternoon to treat myself to a pair of shears for pattern making only. When I told my friend Greg (of Azar's Sewing Center in Davie, Florida) what I wanted them for, he recommended the knife edge Mundial 12NPKE. I thought a 12" shear would be a bit much for me to handle but they are very comfortable and cut the heavy paper easily. No more raggedy edges!



UPDATE 10/24/06: Kelly asked about other patternmaking tools - I apologize, I just assume everyone knows what I'm talking about. Guess I know what that makes me. ;-) I will allow expert patternmaker Kathleen Fasanella to fill you in! Kathleen discusses the basic patternmaking tools here, in her post entitled Tools and Supplies. She left out my favorite thing, the bunny punch (my nickname is Bunny) but discusses it in another post entitled - what else? - Bunny Punch. Here you can also see the hooks that are used to hang the patterns and keep all the pieces of each style together.

When I visited Simplicity last year, I noticed that all of their paper sample patterns were hung on hooks so their use isn't limited to oak tag patterns. I must mention that Simplicity's NYC staff not only gave our group a fascinating tour but were incredibly gracious as well. If I lived in New York, I'd beg them for a job! For decades I disliked Simplicity patterns but they have made such wonderful changes to their product line in recent years that they have become one of my favorites.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! Looks like a Halloween prop. I don't think I've passed the proficiency test required for operation of those beasts.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandfather was a tailor and I inherited much of his paraphernalia. Thanks Gigi, now I know what those supersized scissors are meant to be used for.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Debbie Cook said...

Holy Toledo! They must be nearly as big as you are. ;-) Good scissors are such a pleasure to use.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa! rockin scissors. I've made a couple permanent patterns of my (2) favorite. :) How do you store yours, since they can't be folded away, and what are the punches for?

11:36 AM  
Blogger Alisa_Benay said...

my bunny punch went awol in our last move. maybe went off to live with her bunny cousins. I sure do miss her!

It seems like I read recently that Simplicity is offering b-c-d cup sizes on their patterns. It does seem like they are really trying to make improvements on their pattern line lately.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my bunny punch went awol in our last move. maybe went off to live with her bunny cousins.

I apologize in advance (don't kill me gigi) but maybe Jeff got her. Jeff does like bunnies...

1:03 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Ew, Kathleen! Jeff sure is adorable but I remember how upset I was the first time my kitties killed a bird. :-(

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home