Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Thursday, August 17, 2006

The nest is empty

Well, I'm back. My eyes are still puffy and I'm liable to start crying again at any moment but am trying to get back to normal - whatever that is. We worked really hard to get everything moved in and unpacked in a day and a half. I did leave the boys with a to-do list which I hope they'll pay attention to - nothing major, just a few things I didn't get to, like cleaning the freezer. And of course, Jess wants to paint his room and bathroom - he likes color on the walls as much as I do.

When the truck arrived Tuesday morning Jess begged me to please set his bed up right away. I guess he hadn't enjoyed sleeping on the inflatable bed the night before. I have to say that he did a really good job buying his bed linens. He was obviously paying attention when I explained thread count to him. He used this shower curtain as his inspiration for the color scheme.



I didn't make the duvet cover (I didn't iron it either! We had forgotten to buy an ironing board.). I just ran out of time and it was easy to buy one ready-made. I made a tailored bedskirt and the pillows out of Ultrasuede and upholstery-weight microsuede. We tried adding some green on the bed but it was just too much. I'm happy with the way it turned out. It's a nice cozy bed for a boy who loves his sleep. I was hoping he'd need some window treatments so that I could use up the rest of the fabric. Don't ask me why I bought an entire roll of it - I have no idea what my original plan for 20 yards of camel microsuede was. It must have been a good deal. The boys did ask if I'd bring my sewing machine next time and reupholster the dining chairs and bar stools - that would be a good way to use up the rest. Those cushions are currently upholstered in off-white linen-like fabric which should be nice and dirty the next time I see them.



Today I cleaned Jess' room here at home and moved one of my cutting tables in. Once I get my emotions under control I think I'll enjoy working in there. :-)

10 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Laree said...

Obviously this boy has had an awesome mom who has instructed him well!
;)

10:16 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Oh Gigi, I feel for ya. It will get easier with time.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Thanksgiving comes around you will see such a difference...they seem to grow into young men overnight.

Its hard but the college years are a blast! My favorite time.

All your hard work will pay off with a fine young man.

Ressy

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great mom you are Gigi. Your photos and post made me cry.. Our turn tomorrow. Lauren is moving into a verrrry small dorm room one week ahead of her new room-mate who she has only e-mailed and spoken to once over the phone. It will be very interesting- this sharing a tiny space with another girl. It was excrutiating watching her decide what to leave behind. DH and I will be taking her in his truck and I'll bet we return with half of what she is sure "will fit"!!
Debe

10:41 AM  
Blogger Gorgeous Things said...

Maybe the nest is empty, but it sounds like the heart is full! You're a great mom.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigi, I feel for you. One of my sons graduated this spring, my buddy the one who was always easiest to talk to, but stayed on in his university city. I don't think he will ever come home again except to visit. Tough one and I know the tears. When you send them off to school in your heart you know that it is the beginning of his starting a life without you and that is what you really are feeling. But we don't live with our folks do we? You will be fine, it just takes time to learn the new role and to cherish the past without trying to hold on to it. I'm with you on this one. Keeping sewing. I have a series of projects that I am sure have tears engrained in them after I have said goodbyes. A wise mother once told me that it is the job of a good parent to do themselves out of a job. Take care.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

I understand how hard it is to have our baby move away. My daughter attends college 11-12 hours away. I got a second little dog to mother when she left. She was home for July this year, too short a time. Now she talks about not coming home next summer in favor of taking classes so she can graduate. It makes me sad to see her moving away but I am so proud of the young woman she has become. I need to hold that thought and make her lovely little frocks to soothe my tender soul. :)

4:06 PM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. It's so obivous how close you and your son are just from this little article. I can only imagine what you are going through. I'm holding you in my heart.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Poor Gigi! It's hard. My baby brother just started at my alma mater and I've spend the weekend on the phone with my mom as she tries to figure out this empty nest thing. It's a transition for all involved. But I've gotta say, his room looks very, very nice. Props to him on having great taste and props to you for making all the stuff! And extra kudos to you for raising such a great young man!

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here I remember you were just making a prom outfit for him without a tie! It does get easier over time, and remember there are zillions of parents who, after a few months alone together, aren't too keen on the thought of Junior moving back in. In fact, I don't know any parent who wants that. They are onto something: wait and see, you will savor this experience too. And who knows? Have a few more dates with DH.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home