Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

New bobbin winder!

About five years ago, my friend Greg over at Azar's Sewing Center (Davie, FL) made me a stand-alone jumbo bobbin winder for my Brother embroidery machine. For the most part, I use prewound bobbins but it's good to have a bobbin winder for emergencies or when a special color is needed. I don't use it very often so I put it somewhere out of the way and now, naturally, I can't find it. I really need it to wind bobbins for my Consew 206! You are supposed to wind while you're sewing but I'd need duplicate cones of all of my 69 nylon threads in order to do that. A separate winder is the perfect solution!

I mentioned this to Greg when I was in his shop this morning and, voila!, he produced this jumbo bobbin winder. Apparently, he had made it for another customer who never came to pick it up - lucky for me! This one is even better than the original one he'd made. Always trying to improve upon things, that guy!





Many of you may not know that industrial stand-alone winders are very expensive. I paid about $650 for the winder for my 6-head embroidery machine some years back. Prices easily go over $800 today. I paid under $100 for this one. If you're handy you can probably make your own for about $70 worth of parts.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gorgeous Things said...

Gigi. I can only dream of having the kind of setup you have. Some day!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Nadine of Brooklyn said...

I teach at FIT and we use almost the exact replica of this type of bobbin winder in all three of our accessories design classes. They get pounded during the semester by over 100 students a semester and in the last 10 years we have only had to replace the motor on one of them.

Using these saves wear and tear on your industrial machine. They are great! Thanks for the pix, we use a different belt system than yours but the rubber piece is hard to get so maybe your system is better in the long run. Thanks!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Summerset said...

Cool! A long arm quilter friend of mine has a similar gadget - I knew exactly what it was when I saw the pics!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Yep! This was actually made for someone who had a long-arm.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Commenting much, much later -- you can actually use the rubber rings from Singer (domestic) bobbin winders on the motor side (or heavy o-rings, if the motor side is too small for that), if you mount the motor closer to the wheel that drives the bobbin winder. This has the advantage of making the winder direct drive, along with using an easy to find component.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home