Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Monday, June 26, 2006

Lizards!

I love lizards, they are so cute! I spend some time rescuing them from my cats just about every day. My cats obviously have no regard for how many bugs lizards eat, hmph. Check out this cutie hiding out in my mailbox. He let me take a couple of pictures and then ducked out of sight. He'll probably scare the bejesus out of me when I get the mail this afternoon.



Last Friday, one of my customers pointed this one out to me. He (or she, I don't know how to tell) was just hanging out, sunning himself. No big deal. Except that, by my estimation, he was between 10 and 12 inches long! Imagine the number of enormous bugs this fella needs every day! I can only hope he's lurking around my yard somewhere enjoying all of the bugs that seem to be munching on my pesticide-free plant life. Speaking of which, I've been wanting to buy some ladybugs to keep the aphids under control. Have you noticed that ladybugs are pretty scarce these days? I wonder if lizards eat ladybugs?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never though much about lizards unitl our honeymoon on the Big Island. We stayed in a traditional Japanese house, complete with shoji and tatami, and there were geckos scampering down the walls from time to time. To this day geckos make me think of Hawaii. ~ Phyllis

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gigi,
If you buy Lady Bugs, be sure to buy the larvae- the adults just fly away. The larvae are much hungrier anyway!
Kathi S, wife of entomologist

10:52 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Thanks, Kathi! I had no idea.

10:15 AM  
Blogger 'Zann said...

Found my way to your blog via Kathleen's link in Fashion-Incubator and I just had to comment on this entry.
I'm originally from So. Florida and I love lizards,too - they have faces like elves, don't they? My blog (mostly fiber arts) is called "Lizards in the Leaves" and early on I posted why here:

http://tinyurl.com/o6omy

Anyway, thanks for rescuing lizards and sharing photos!

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home