Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Happy Birthday, Honey - Part 2

Naturally, I am running way behind schedule on my husband's birthday shirts. Something came up yesterday and I was away all day. By the time I came home at 9:30 last night I was ready for nothing more than a small snack and bed. I know better than to start cutting when I'm tired. That meant that I had work to catch up on today so I wasn't able to start cutting until tonight. I only cut out the cream silk. Because I volunteered to help out at the restaurant on Friday, I only have tomorrow to sew and I must do it quickly and in between my other work! At this point, I'll be happy to have one shirt to give him on his special day. I wish I were more like Carolyn and could crank out beautiful things under pressure! And, yes, if you are wondering, that is soil separator cloth that I used to trace my pattern. Every time I use this pattern I am reminded how much I hate soil separator cloth. I can't stand the way it feels and I can't read the notes I've written on the pattern. I really should retrace it onto something else.



Happily, I found some really pretty mother-of-pearl buttons for the cream silk in my button stash. I always try to use mother-of-pearl buttons on my husband's shirts. They seem to be more and more difficult to find and my stash is dwindling. I looked through my entire button stash and couldn't find anything to go with the raisin-colored rayon, never mind anything in mother-of-pearl. I think I have a pretty good button stash but I could be wrong. Maybe I should stop buying fabric and vintage patterns and concentrate on buttons for awhile.



I guess that means settling for some ordinary plastic button from JoAnn's. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something in wood. Better yet, maybe I'll cut the wood buttons off of that orange Tommy Bahama shirt of my husband's that I hate so much. ;-) Button shopping will have to wait until the weekend. I really don't want to waste an hour going to Fabric Hell. You know how it is - I'd have to sit and look through the pattern books and just generally look around to confirm that they have the same old stinky fabric they always do. My mother always said I was a dawdler and she was right (about that anyway).

8 Comments:

Blogger BlackGirl said...

just passing by your blog...i'm a fashion designer and i find you blog very interesting! ur great! keep it up!

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! You love lizards, too! I live in Winter Park Florida and just love to see my little lizard friends, they look so wise the way they cock their little heads and look at you!

I plated some butterfly plants (I think the botanical name is asclepias) in the yard. The butterflies lay eggs which hatch into caterpillars, which devour the leaves and the aphids love them, too. Then come the ladybugs and they really swarm down when the aphids take control. Sad thing is the poor plant looks like hell then in the battle between the caterpillars and aphids, so you just have to plant it in between other things so it's not s specimen plant.

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an idea for buttons for the plum fabric. Why not make some out of sculpy. That way you can get the color you want. A few years ago there was an article in Threads about making your own buttons out of this stuff. I realize you are pressed for time, but since you bought so much of that fabric, you could look into making some buttons for the next shirt. Just a suggestion.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It won't help you for this shirt, but Greenberg and Hammer, in NYC, have lots of real MOP buttons in many different sizes and shapes. They're listed in their website catalogue.
www,greenberg-hammer.com
Kathleen C.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigi, check out Ebay, I've been bidding on buttons lately (not winning that many) but I see tons of MOP offerings in the lots that are up for aution.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Gigi ~ I recognize those button boxes *smile* I have about 20 of them myself. Only mine have handwritten labels on them! Try this link to Newark Dressmaker's Supply, they have some MOP buttons in stock.

http://www.newarkdress.com/noveltybuttons-ss2.html

Also try: www.mjtrim.com

They always have shell buttons!

And the shirt looks awesome! You may take your time but the results are always amazing!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Tini said...

Gigi, would you mind coming to Germany one day and organzise my stuff?
The boxes for buttons are great :)
I keep them squeezed into a tiny drawer.... when I have my own sewing room, things will get better.. or I can hide them better.

Great shirt! I bet your DH loves it....

btw. I just won that book that you recommended some weeks ago at ebay ;)

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, came accross your blog doing some research on opeing a retail store featuring my low cost designs..I must say Y0U GO GIRL...what a great site, and very inspiring.

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home