Behind The Seams

Ramblings of a sewing fanatic

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fashion Hell, Florida, United States

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Happy Birthday, Honey - Final

When I was ironing a couple of Tommy Bahama camp shirts the other day, I noticed that the edgestitching on the facing stopped at the top vs. turning the corner and meeting the collar stitching. I thought I'd give this a try - I'm not sure whether I like it or not. It certainly was easier.

I made an extra thin piece of bias tubing for the button loop. I stitched about 1/8" from the fold of my bias strip and then turned it with a needle and thread after trimming the seam allowances close to the stitching. Just for kicks, I sewed this entire shirt with Mettler Silk-Finish cotton thread. I must say, I really liked it for the topstitching. The thread melds into the fabric so much better than polyester. I'll have to see how it holds up in the construction.



Here's the finished collar area. This is the first time I've added the loop. It's really just decorative since I didn't sew the necessary button under the collar. The pattern (Kwik-Sew 2935) directs you to cut the loop 1.75" long which is just a wee bit too long, in my opinion. I think I'll try 1.5" on the next shirt.



Tone-on-tone embroidery is a big thing with executives these days. Advertising with a whisper. The embroidery looks a little wonky but that's because I had it draped over a pile of fabric on my pressing surface when I took the photograph.



Of course, I made him open it tonight before we went to bed and he loved it! He is wearing it tomorrow to the closing.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely LOVELY!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Lisa Laree said...

Fabulous. Definitely a birthday present worth waiting for! ;)

1:28 PM  
Blogger Els said...

Congratulations on your husband birthday. The best way of advertising the restaurant is a shirt with logo by your hands. I'll bet you will get orders to make more of these shirts. The shirt looks beautiful.
Have a nice day.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Linda L said...

Really nice shirt, Gigi. But you always do great work!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Ilove the collar Gigi - it's very 1940's! What pattern is this again?

8:19 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Thank you all for your very kind comments! Phyllis, this is Kwik-Sew 2935. It's a really nice pattern except that the sleeves are too long IMO. My DH is 6' and I had to shorten the sleeves 1".

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home